The main objective of the Biometrics Unit is to:
• use computers for experimental design and data analysis and interpretation of results
• provide advice on the design of experiments, surveys, and modeling studies.
• provide guidance on how best to store and mange data on the computer.
• provide training on the use of data management packages such as EXCEL, ACCESS and statistical packages which are available such as GENSTAT, SAS, SPSS, EPINFO, STATA S-PLUS and many others.
• provide information technology services to all staff.
CURRENT RESEARCH EMPHASIS
The division provides statistical and computing support to all scientists on a broad range of topics, such as:
• Experimental design, genotype by environment trials, agronomy, pathology and entomology experiments
• Research is conducted in areas of agroclimatology
• Multi-environmental trials
• Statistical genetics
• Population genetics
• Medical trials
• The division has a good reputation for providing excellent specialized courses on statistics.
• Training has been provided in the form of courses to scientists in other research institutes in Ghana.
• The Division has provided advice on use of statistics, statistical packages, study design, statistical analysis and data management services.